|The cavalry has arrived|
Steve finally arrived around two o'clock in the afternoon. After hearing our story and the sound of our noisy engine, he opined that we had probably somehow burnt out our catalytic converter. Then he disappeared under the RV for about 15 min. When he emerged he was confident he had discovered the problem. The catalytic converter appeared to be fine. The rest of the exhaust system not so much. It was literally falling apart at every join from the engine to the muffler. All of the connecting bolts on the driver's side were gone and those on the passenger side were loose and would be joining their compatriots shortly at which point large chunks of the system would probably fall on the ground. "Oh, and by the way, did you know that your inside tire on the driver's side is flat?" Terrific.
Back in September when we took our trip to South Dakota we noticed that our motorhome had trouble climbing grades so we ended up going over the Rocky Mountains at about 30 miles an hour as semi trucks roared past us laughing. When we returned to Redlands, we discussed this with the service guy at Mike Thompson, our dealer, and he told us he could probably help that with something called a Banks system. This is a modified air intake and exhaust system that is supposed to run more and cooler air through the engine causing the gasoline to burn more efficiently and improve power and gas mileage by about 20%. I was suspicious but after a bit of Google research which said more or less the same thing, we agreed to go ahead and let them install this new airflow system on the Allegro. And, lo and behold, it actually seemed to work. When we took a trip to Arizona in February there seemed to be noticeably more power and hill climbing ability. We were very pleased.
|Good news (I hope)|
So while Steve crawled around underneath our motorhome fixing the depredations caused by our Tiffin dealer, we climbed in the Subaru and drove to Portland to meet Lyle and Linda at their bed and breakfast place. We had a very nice sushi dinner, caught up on the latest family news and then drove back down to Eugene. By the time we got there, it was pouring rain and the wheels were off the left rear axle of the Allegro. Steve had taken them off and driven away with the flat tire to see about fixing or replacing it. He was supposed to meet us back at nine o'clock the next morning.
|A wad of cash and we're on our way.|
So here is the plug for what little it is worth. If you ever need roadside motorhome services in the Eugene area, call Steve at A to Z Mobile Repairs, (541-606-4802). He's a champ and also, as it turns out, a really nice guy. Of course, if the exhaust system falls off again before we reach South Dakota I'll retract everything I've said, but at the moment he's our hero.